Sunday, April 24, 2011

Lemon Cream Pie

I went to the QC for Easter weekend, and managed to get some cooking/baking in. For Easter dinner, I contributed this yummy and light(er) Lemon Cream Pie from Cooking Light magazine. I love all things lemon, and when I saw this recipe, I knew I had to give it a try. My family agreed to be guinea pigs... and I think they were pretty happy with the results.

The main show in the pie is the lemon custard, which is a bit of a process to make- you need to be very careful cooking the eggs to make sure you don't have lemon/scrambled egg pie. It calls for lighter ingredients, such as 1/3 less fat cream cheese and skim milk to cut some of the fat and calories. Though it's a bit involved to make, I was very happy with how it turned out- it didn't taste light at all! The rest of the pie was pretty simple- just store-bought pie crust and cool whip on top! It was especially pretty with a bit of grated lemon zest as a garnish.


Overall, I was pretty happy with the pie- I'd definitely make it again. Next time, though, I think I'll try a graham cracker crust, which I tend to prefer. I'll also up the lemon quotient. I put in the amount of rind/juice called for, but it still could have been more lemony for me. If you aren't a cool whip fan, you could always use some real whipped cream instead- that would be even more delicious! I'd definitely recommend trying this one if you're a lemon and/or pie fan!

No comments:

Post a Comment