Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Chocolate Ricotta Mousse

Another dessert that I tried out over Easter weekend was less successful. I thought Chocolate Ricotta Mousse sounded quite intriguing, so I made a half batch to try. It's from the January/February 2011 issue of Everyday Food (aka the "Light" issue), so it's healthier (or at least less bad for you) than traditional chocolate mousse. It was quite a process to make, and required a lot of equipment- food processor, double boiler, and a hand mixer. Basically you mix the ricotta and cocoa in the food processor, make a meringue-like substance with the egg whites and sugar, and then fold to combine.


My mom thought this recipe sounded questionable- and she was right, sort of. The taste was great- rich and satisfyingly chocolatey. However, the texture was the big issue with this dish. I pulsed the ricotta pretty well, and it was still... grainy. Chocolate mousse is supposed to be smooth and silky, and this definitely did not pass that test. I don't think I'll try this one again- I'll just go for the full fat version instead. That being said, we all finished our mousse and licked the bowl...

No comments:

Post a Comment