Thursday, January 20, 2011

Beef Stew


On a really chilly winter night, I tend to crave comfort food, and while I'm not a huge red meat eater, I've recently been wanting my mom's beef stew. It's very basic, but it really hits the spot. I started by dredging the stew meat in a mixture of flour, garlic salt, and pepper. I then browned the meat in a bit of oil. Once the meat was browned, I added some beef broth and a bay leaf and let things simmer for awhile. Once the meat gets tender, I added in some vegetables. I stuck with the basics- carrots, onion, and potatoes. 


I like the sauce to be a little on the thicker side, so toward the end I thickened it with a little broth and cornstarch. You could also use flour mixed with butter, but I usually just use cornstarch since it's easier. I ended up with a very simple and hearty stew that reminds me of home.

No comments:

Post a Comment