Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Ham and Cheese Puff Tart


I had some leftover puff pastry that I was looking for a recipe for, and when I came across this Ham and Cheese Puff Tart in the November 2010 issue of Everyday Food.  It's a very decadent and more elegant take on the classic ham and cheese sandwich, and it was a definite hit- Chris and I were fighting over the leftovers the next day. 


Basically, the recipe involves making a simple bechamel sauce- with a twist of nutmeg. I changed the recipe here and used skim milk instead of whole and a little extra butter- it turned out just fine, though I don't think I lightened it any. The tart is filled with deli ham, gruyere cheese, and the sauce, and then baked until golden brown.


Since the tart was so rich, I served it with leftover Pasta e Fagioli. I just pulled the soup out of the freezer and added a handful of pasta, and it was just as tasty as the first time!


No comments:

Post a Comment