Thursday, March 3, 2011

Oven Fries


I LOVE french fries, and while I get them out once in awhile, at home I only make oven fries. When I saw this recipe for oven fries in Everyday Food, I knew I had to give it a try. Part of the recipe involves soaking the potatoes in water for awhile, which I've never done before when making oven fries. I was curious, so I went online to see if I could find out what soaking is supposed to do. I did find an article saying that it's supposed to reduce carcinogens, and I've also heard that it reduces starch and makes fries crispier. Anyone know why some recipes call for soaking? 


Anyway, my first batch turned out pretty well, though I cut them too thin. On subsequent attempts, I cut thicker fries, and they turned out much better- creamy potato-ness on the inside, while crisp and spicy on the outside. This recipe was simple but good!



No comments:

Post a Comment